“I’m at an age where food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact, I’ve just had a mirror put over my kitchen table.” -Rodney Dangerfield
The everyday lifestyle I have chosen for myself, keeps me fit and healthy. Sticking to a high veggie, fish and seafood, grass fed animal meats, selected fruits and low carb way of eating…I still treat myself to an occasional “sweet”. I have found that if I have a sweet treat once in a while like once or twice a month–I can turn down deserts or be satisfied with just a bite. Being selective helps.
My choices are: Panna Cotta, an Italian custard made with milk; Cream Brûlée, a French version of custard made with cream; Gelato ice cream made with milk and fresh fruit.
For an afternoon tea time treat, I’ll have a slice of carrot cake made with less sugar and tons of carrot.
- CARROT CAKE RECIPT:
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups organic wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups dark Muscovado sugar* (*has fine moist texture, high molasses content)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of a light vegetable* oil (*with a very mild taste like Canola oil)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 small can crushed pinapple w/juice
- 2 cups “chunky” chopped walnuts* (*black walnuts if you can afford them)
- Preheat oven: 350 degrees
- Cut parchment to fit bottom of three 2-cup ramekins. Cut paper for side allowing a taller height for
- raising while cooking. SEE PHOTO
- In a large bowl mix carrots and flour. In a larger bowl mix eggs. Add to eggs the dark brown sugar, oil,vanilla.pineapple, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves. MIX. Then add in the carrot mixture. MIX well. Finally add the coarse chopped walnuts.
Spoon into the 2-cup ramekins lined with parchment paper on bottom and sides. Bake for 30 minutes and check to see if a toothpick comes out “almost” clean. Depending on size of ramekin it made need a few more minutes. Important NOT to over bake. Carrot cake is best moist.
Take out and cool on rack for 20 minutes then turn baked rounds out on to wire rack. Leave parchment paper on. Tie with string for presentation.
FROSTING Mix confectioner’s sugar to whipped cream cheese. Sweeten to taste, BUT best when tangy. Spoon on top. Add carrot slice w/greenery for presentation.
Note: you can use smaller ramekins or larger ramekins. Adjust cooking time.